[rt-users] ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 20 09:02:29 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:58:24 -0400, Burghart, Michael (I/ET-83, extern)
<extern.michael.burghart at audi.de> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I am new to this list so please apologize if I do not know yet the
> etiquette in her and if the error I get confused with is a trivial one.
> I am a Perl devloper but Oracle is rather new to me.
>
> My job is to move an RT 3.6.5 to an RT 3.8.0. The OS is RHEL5. The
> database system is an remote Oracle server.
> So far so good.
> I installed the Oracle client along with RT and always get the error
> mentioned above.
> in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin there reside the following .ora files:
> ldap.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora ( I can send them if needed, just
> don't wanted to send a huge bunch of files).
> All perl modules seem to be installed.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint on where to look for a solution?

Michael,

This is an Oracle config problem, so it's beyond the scope of the list.

Having said that, the problem appears to be that the Oracle client isn't
configured correctly and it can't locate your remote database. The "oerr"
utility gives this info for the error code you see:

% oerr ora 12154
12154, 00000, "TNS:could not resolve service name"
// *Cause:  The service name specified is not defined correctly in the
// TNSNAMES.ORA file.
// *Action:  Make the following checks and correct the error:
//           - Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper
//             place and accessible. See the operating system specific
manual
//             for details on the required name and location.
//           - Check to see that the service name exists in one of the
//             TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
//           - Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file.
//             Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray
characters.
//             Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See
//             Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide. If
//             possible, regenerate the configuration files using the
Oracle
//             Network Manager.

I'd enlist the help of your DBA to get you past this problem...

Steve