[rt-users] ACLs to create tickets with custom fields

Jerrad Pierce jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Thu Aug 21 17:28:18 EDT 2008

This all make sense but it still doesn't seem to actually answer my
question, which is all about your step 14. Because setting custom fields can
happen at ticket *creation*, it's not
obvious  to me that one should need a right called *modify*, but this
appears to be the case,
and what I was trying to verify. Perhaps if there were clearer documentation
of what the rights
actually mean (not even present in 'Essentials') such a difference in
interpretation might not
occur. Regardless, I have added a note to the wiki to try and help clarify
this for anyone else
stung by this in the future:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/ModifyCustomField

The prior wiki description " This right allows the user to associate
existing custom field
values with the custom field's objects, e.g. tickets, users, etc."
presupposes knowledge
of RT's schema. this read to me like "users with this right get to add
previously defined
CFs to objects" (Configuration>Global>Custom Fields>*); clearly not
something you want
to grant to lowlier users, and so I had not. Whereas I imagine it's supposed
to mean "you
get to set CF values for objects (which is done internally with some
inter-table references.)"

To further clarify, given the name ModifyCustomField, my interpretation of
the right
prior to discovering the wiki entry was that it meant only users with this
right could alter
the field *after it had been initially set on ticket creation.*

--
Cambridge Energy Alliance: Save money & the planet