[rt-users] Best method to authenticate with AD

Brian Buchanan brianbuchanan at interfast.ca
Tue Aug 26 11:00:37 EDT 2008

I'm using ExternalAuth, it works well and I would recommend it.

I ran into a couple of implementation issues because 1) my AD User
Objects lacked an E-mail address, and 2) many of my users had submitted
tickets via E-mail and had rt accounts autocreated with their RT
username being their E-mail address.

The empty E-mail Addresses in the AD User object causes problems when a
new user sends an E-mail to RT.  A user account gets created with
information from AD, but then mailgateway fails to find that user
because the account has a null E-mail address.

This meant that I had to update all my AD user objects, adding in their
E-mail address, and update my procedures for "Adding a User", but it all
seems good now.

The existing RT autocreated users needed to have their RT Username
updated to match their AD account name (specifically the sAMAccountName)
so that they could login to the RT web interface with the AD account
name and password.

Brian