[rt-users] Security based on custom field values?

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 12 14:40:12 EST 2008

Ed,

	If I understand this correctly, your "users" are really the ones who
would assign a ticket? If so, then why not create a "Bucket" Queue for
all of the tickets to be sent to initially. Only the "users" who do the
assigning can see this queue. The look at the CF setting for the ticket,
change it or watever and THEN, Move the ticket to the correct queue (I
assume there are two; supplier and client). The suppliers (in one group)
can only see tickets in the "supplier" queue and the clients (also in a
seperate group) can only see tickets in the "client" queue. The users
(in their own group) can see everything in all 3 queues and have
"ModifyTicket" right. The CF is either defined globally OR not and
applied to the appropriate queues. This last may be a consideration in
case the installation grows in the future and the CF's are different. I
was thinking that since the "users" are looking at the tickets anyway,
why not just have them "select & move" the tickets where they belong.
That way, the only modification you need to make are with rights and
maybe a scrip or two. I try to avoid creating maintenence work when
there is a way to do the job using the design. Just a thought.

Kenn
LBNL