[rt-users] Wishlist emails

Roy El-Hames rfh at pipex.net
Mon Feb 18 11:33:43 EST 2008

Hi Ken;

> The content searching problem really needs to be addressed through
> the use of full-text indexing. There is currently an item in the
> wiki describing how to use Oracle's full-text support with RT. Here
> is the URL: http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/OracleText. I have
> not seen a similar entry for MySQL or PostgreSQL, although I will
> be submitting one for PostgreSQL soon. We are upgrading to RT 3.6.x
> and PostgreSQL 8.3. 8.3 supports full-text indexing as a core feature.
> Maybe with two examples, someone will be able to submit a MySQL version
> as well.
>
> If you are familiar with the full-text index support for your backend
> database, you should be able to make these changes yourself. This would
> provide much better performance. I think that this solution will scale
> much better than just making incremental DB layout improvements.

Totally agree with you, and the hack I have in place is to use myisam
version of the rt database (I use mysql and rt likes innodb which does
not support full-text indexing),
So what happens here is content searches are intercepted , the content
string is queried on  the myisam with full-text indexing), joins
attachments and transaction table and returns a list of ObjectIds (where
ObjectType = 'RT::Ticket'), the returned list of Ids are then put back
into the rest to the search string as "Ticket.Id = bla or Ticket.Id =
bla2 etc" .. not ideal but it actually works --most of the time --
As I said in my original mail , I would have preferred if this is
addressed in the core rt development cause I am sure I am not the only
one with this issue , and this kind of customisation drift from the core
quite a  bit

Thanks;
Roy