[rt-users] Merging two instances

Konstantin Naryzhniy konstantinn at parallels.com
Thu Jan 31 12:28:50 EST 2008

Jesse, Alex,
I really appreciate you digging into the issue!

Yes, the transactions, groupmembers and othe subrecords' ids could vary significantly between the two instances, so this is the main issue.
Well it does sound quite discouraging that even the BestPractical team gave up the idea=)

Our business task is two transfer half of the support team from one instance to another, which the rest of the staff uses. If we cannot merge the databases, we face a transactional period, when either
a) engineers have to work in both instances,
b) all the 'In progress' tickets from the old instance get CC of the new instance and thus, once a correspondence is added to ticket, a new one is created on the second instance.

I guess, we'll stick with b.
Unless that way the mailgate doesn't get confused routing emails that have something like "[Helpdesk2 #222222] RE: [HelpDesk1 #111111] Blah-blah" in subject.

Thanks again!

Kostya