[rt-users] Workflow for release management

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 25 14:40:40 EDT 2008

Bill,

	Sounds like you do exactly what we do for some of our software support
groups. We added a few new active status values and built some scrips to
add two new functional processes; "Review & Approval" and "QA WorkFlow".
WE modified the tabs in the "Modify Ticket" pages to display these new
options. They work like this:

	1) A ticket is received(email)/created in the "Requests" Queue. This
queue is used to collect requests that may/may not be approved and moved
to an appropriate support queue. A notification is sent to the Requestor.
	2) Ticket Status is changed to "pending rv" (new "TAB" on page).  The
ticket is evaluated and investigated and the result (upon completion of
evaluation) the Ticket Status is changed to "rejected" (not approved) or
"rq approvd" (approved. new "TAB" on page). If "rejected", a comment is
required to explain why and that is included in the notification
tamplate. A notification is sent to the Requestor.
	3) The ticket is moved to the appropriate support queue. the ticket can
now be opened and worked on. If several sub-tasks are required, they are
created as "Children" tickets. If other tasks are required from other
groups, "depending on" tickets are created in those queues. A
notification is sent to the Requestor AND new Queue Admin (AdminCc).
	4) The new Queue Admin assigns the ticket to a developer/owner.
	5) The ticket status is changed to "open". The ticket is worked on from
"developing specs" to "system testing". These steps are indicated using
a Custom Field called "Work-Status". A notification is sent to the
Requestor.
	6) The ticket status is changed to "pending qa" (new "TAB" on page).
Due to new scrips, RT automatically changes the new Custom Field "QA
Approved" value to "Not Started" and the CF "Work-Status" value to
"Acceptance Testing". A notification scrip is sent to the Requestor AND
the QA Approval Group. The QA Test scripts are attached to the notification.
	7) The QA Approval group tests the work product. When complete, anyone
in THAT group only (CF rights) changes the value in the CF "QA Approved"
to either "Yes" or "No". Due toi new scrips, RT automatically change the
ticket status to "stalled" (if CF QA Approved is "No") or to "qa
approvd" (if CF QA Approved is "Yes"). A notification scrip is sent to
the Requestor, Owner, AdminCc, AND the Migrator/Promoter. The
Migration/Promotion instructions are attached to the notification.
	8) The Migrator/Promoter moves the product into production, and
possibly changes the ticket status to "resolved", depending on how the
Queue Admin has setup his infrastructure permissions. Otherwise, the
Queue Admin "resolves" the ticket.

	I am currently looking into having RT "automatically" execute the
version control migration when the ticket status is changed to
"resolved" via CF/scrips.

	This entire process is documented in our User and Admin guides.

	I'm sure you will want to do things a differently in some manner, but
this should give you an idea of how we handled it. We'd be more than
happy to help in any way we can. Hope this design concept helps.

Kenn
LBNL