[rt-users] RT version 3.8.0 and RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05

Jason Doran Jason.Doran at nuim.ie
Mon Jul 28 09:51:38 EDT 2008

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I have got this working on OpenLDAP. Some comments
for others:

I used:		'user'                      =>   'cn=manager,dc=mydomain,dc=ie'

It is not clear from documentation that this needs to be a full
distinguished name (DN), which I see you use. Above is an example of
the standard openldap admin user, or perhaps better to create a
special user for this in OpenLDAP.

ldapsearch -LLL -x -D "cn=manager,dc=mydomain,dc=ie" -W -h
myldap.mydomain.ie "(&(sn=Doran)(objectClass=posixAccount))"

This worked after I installed 'yum install openldap-clients'. I also
installed perl-LDAP as you suggested, Good for testing.

My final comment. I was assuming that users were automatically created
from the external data source when they tried to log on. So when I
tried user 'jbloggs' I got the 'Your username or password is
incorrect' error. However, when I simply added a user (just the user
id) from the RT web interface up pops all the mapped attributes in the
add user form, and the authentication is then successful.

I stupidly assumed that external sourced users were automatically
created after authentication from
the external source.

I mis-read:

# If this is set to 1, then users should be autocreated by RT
# as internal users if they fail to authenticate from an
# external service.
Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers,    1);

as something like, AutoCreateExternalUsers. Ah well!

Thanks again,
Jason