[rt-users] Performance Issues

David Nalley davidn at KeyMarkinc.com
Wed Jun 18 10:13:40 EDT 2008

Hey guys,
I am running a pilot installation of RT and experiencing some
performance anomalies

A bit about the environment:
RT 3.6.6 on CentOS 5, using mod_perl against Postgres 8.1. Postgres and
RT on separate boxes, and are on the same switch and subnet. Both boxes
have 1GB of RAM and Xeon 2.8Ghz processors. In addition all of the
clients in this pilot are also on the same subnet. The network is
switched 10/100.

The problem
In most respects it's living up to it's expectations - however I am
noticing some significant lagging. Now keep in mind this is only a
pilot, I have a total of around 100 tickets, about 1800 transactions in
this system, and only 4 web interface users.  When I display one of the
tickets that has 35 transactions, it takes between 19 and 28 seconds.
That strikes me as a long time to load a single ticket, and is causing
some concern about what would happen if really loaded and under heavy
use.

What I have done thus far:
I worked through the performance tuning section on the wiki - and showed
no improvement as a result. (In reality the database modifications had
already been  tweaked before RT showed up).
I have run pg_top against the database and it appears the queries are
being answered in a second or less.
In monitoring the box RT runs on, when I request some of the tickets
with more transactions, it grabs the CPU and keeps it occupied at 75-95%
utilization (showing up as system time not wait) for the duration of
About 40% of available RAM isn't being used on the RT box at present -
so I don't think it's related to

Thus I seek the group's wisdom - are my expectations improper for length
of time to display a ticket? If not, where else should I be looking to
address performance?