[rt-users] A brief preview of what RT 3.8 is going to look like

Ham MI-ID, Torsten Brumm torsten.brumm at Kuehne-Nagel.com
Thu Mar 27 08:24:40 EDT 2008

Hi Jesse, Kenneth and Todd,

I agree with all of you, the menu at the top is good for 4:3 screen, but for 16:10 screens, a menu at the left/right hand will be much better.

Jesse: What about the idea to check per js what kind of display the users uses and then choose the correct css for RT?

I mean, if a users logs in with a 4:3, he will get the menu at the top, so he saves space at the left and right and if this user/another user logs in with a 16:10 display, RT choose the css layout with the menu at the right or left side?!?

Something like this:

function init() {
	determineStyle();
}

function getBrowserWidth() {
	if (window.innerWidth) {return window.innerWidth;}
	else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientWidth != 0) {return document.documentElement.clientWidth;}
	else if (document.body) {return document.body.clientWidth;}
	return 0;
}
function determineStyle() {
	var browserWidth = getBrowserWidth();
	if(browserWidth <= 925) {
		for(var q = 0; (a = document.getElementsByTagName("link")[q]); q++) {
			a.disabled = true;
			if(a.getAttribute("title") == "narrow") a.disabled = false;
		}
	}
	if(browserWidth > 925) {
		for(var q = 0; (a = document.getElementsByTagName("link")[q]); q++) {
			a.disabled = true;
			if(a.getAttribute("title") == "wide") a.disabled = false;
		}
	}
}
function doResize() {
	determineStyle();
	if(document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].className == "article") {
		var form = document.getElementById("commentformarea");
		var browserWidth = getBrowserWidth();
		if(browserWidth <= 925) {
			form.parentNode.removeChild(form);
			document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].appendChild(form);
		}
		if(browserWidth > 925) {
			form.parentNode.removeChild(form);
			document.getElementById("infos").appendChild(form);
		}
		moveComments();
	}
}

window.onload = init;
window.onresize = doResize;

Just as an idea?!?

Torsten

Kühne + Nagel (AG & Co.) KG, Geschäftsleitung: Hans-Georg Brinkmann (Vors.), Uwe Bielang (Stellv.), Bruno Mang, Alfred Manke, Thorsten Meincke, Mark Reinhardt (Stellv.), Jens Wollesen, Rainer Wunn, Sitz: Bremen, Registergericht: Bremen, HRA 21928, USt-IdNr.: DE 812773878, Persönlich haftende Gesellschaft: Kühne & Nagel A.G., Sitz: Contern/Luxemburg Geschäftsführender Verwaltungsrat: Klaus-Michael Kühne