[rt-users] RT with phone support?

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Mon May 19 06:38:29 EDT 2008

On 19/05/2008, at 5:23 PM, Ricky Jelm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are evaluating several ticketing systems and came across RT. Our
> agents usually get the tickets by phone and I've seen RT is especially
> set up as a mail gateway.
>
> I've found this thread but it's quite old:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/6483?search_string=phone+support
>
> What is the current status on phone support? Basically, I've seen that
> one can enter a ticket manually, but I would have to change my E-Mail
> address into the e-mail address of the requestor (for statistical
> purposes) which is a double problem:
>
> - one has to look up the e-mail address in another system, copy-paste
> it into RT (this would be a major burden and probably a no-go for RT)
> - minor problem, but still a problem: one has to think of deleting
> one's address.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ricky

We use RT extensively for both phone and email tracking. Our helpdesk
staff enter the client/users' email address as the Requester when they
create the ticket.

You can easily integrate RT into another system to do user lookups,
then the ticket creator would just need to select from a list or
search on a username, etc.

Tom