[rt-users] permanently squelching a user

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 14:46:17 EDT 2008

--- On Fri, 5/23/08, Kimberly McKinnis <kmckinnis at tivo.com> wrote:

> So here's my setup: I have an 'alert' email for
> tickets, and a 'support'
> email for tickets. Alert cc's our cell phones (via
> /etc/aliases) and
> sets the ticket to a high priority (via a scrip based on
> to: email
> headers) . Support goes to the same queue but simply
> notifies the
> adminCCs via email. The problem is that since I'm using
> the script from
> the wiki to add ccs as watchers, the alert email keeps
> getting added to
> tickets as a cc, even though support owns them. This
> results in
> everyone's cell phones getting sms'd every time
> there is a reply to an
> alert ticket. Even after I remove alert from the ticket,
> users continue
> to reply to the initial email where alert was cc'd.
>

> I attempted to shove the alert email into @blacklist in
> SendEmail.pm,
> which seemed to work, but unrelated scrips are now failing.
> (Errors
> below.) I'm open to suggestions if I'm going about
> this completely
> wrong.

I've written a multi purpose 'spam/text/sender/receiver filter' which sits between sendmail/postfix and RT.  Basicially, it works like this:

Instead of having an entry in /etc/aliases pointing to RT, the alias points to my script.  The script analyzes the whole email and looks for certain text strings.  If they exist (or don't exist, depending on the need), it opens a pipe to RT and passes the email along; if the conditions are met where it shouldn't go into RT, it's dropped.
If you'd like a copy of my perl script, let me know.