[rt-users] Rt-mailgate fails on emails from hotmail

Michael Maxwell mmaxwell at blackarrow.tv
Fri May 30 21:22:09 EDT 2008

A little digging through the archives turned up some messages from 2000 or
so pertaining to this, but a solution remains forthcoming.

What we have:
    RT 3.6.6
    fetchmail pulling messages from our remote mail server via IMAP+SSL

So far, we've tested email for ticket creation and replies with various
different mail clients and source domains.  All have worked perfectly with
the exception of hotmail.

After doing a little detective work, I've traced it down to this function in
rt-mailgate:

    my $r = $ua->post( $full_url, {%args} );

$ua is actually LWP::UserAgent's post() method.  So, I'm not sure if it's
really rt-mailgate itself that's to blame or if it's LWP::Useragent.

I turned on fetchmail's verbose option and pasted the relevant output below.
Domains have been replaced with "[DELETED]" for the purposes of this email.
Please note in particular the failure message returned by fetchmail:

An Error Occurred
=================

500 Internal Server Error
fetchmail: MDA returned nonzero status 75
 not flushed

The end result is that tickets DO get created, but since rt-mailgate
apparently keeps trying to finish this transaction up until its default 180
second timeout, it keeps generating tickets.  So for ONE email sent from a
hotmail account, we'll end up with FIVE or so tickets (all identical).

If anyone has any tips on how to fix this, please let me know.  Thank you.

Fetchmail's verbose output posted below:

1 message for rt-general@[DELETED] at mail.[DELETED].com.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0006 FETCH 1 RFC822.SIZE
fetchmail: IMAP< * 1 FETCH (RFC822.SIZE 2440)
fetchmail: IMAP< A0006 OK FETCH completed.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0007 FETCH 1 RFC822.HEADER
fetchmail: IMAP< * 1 FETCH (RFC822.HEADER {1365}
reading message rt-general[DELETED]@mail.[DELETED].com:1 of 1 (1365 header
octets)
#
fetchmail: IMAP< )
fetchmail: IMAP< A0007 OK FETCH completed.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0008 FETCH 1 BODY.PEEK[TEXT]
fetchmail: IMAP< * 1 FETCH (BODY[TEXT] {1075}
 (1075 body octets) ************************************.***
fetchmail: IMAP< )
fetchmail: IMAP< A0008 OK FETCH completed.
An Error Occurred
=================

500 Internal Server Error
fetchmail: MDA returned nonzero status 75
 not flushed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0009 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server
version 6.5.7638.1 signing off.
fetchmail: IMAP< A0009 OK LOGOUT completed.
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.[DELETED].com (protocol IMAP) at Fri 30 May
2008 05:09:37 PM PDT: poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0