[rt-users] Another ExternalAuth question - "strict refs"

Jon Tollerton jtollerton at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 5 15:04:31 EST 2008

If you have "use strict;", it just means that you have to explicitly
define your variables before you use them.  That means that you either
have to have a section where you define the variables that you're going
to use such as:

my $foo;
my $bar;
my $baz;

or you have to define it the first time it's used (and only the first
time), such as

#do some things
my $foo="bar";
$foo="baz";

It's designed to make sure that you don't have typos inside your
variable names and is mostly just a matter of style more than anything
else.  That doesn't address your LDAP issue, but should help to show why
the fatal error was occurring.