[rt-users] CALLING EXTERNALAUTH TESTERS - v0.07_01 now available.

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Fri Nov 7 14:08:50 EST 2008

John McCoy wrote:
> I do have an additional issue now that I have had a few more testers try
> this:
> Most of our non-privileged users do already exist in RT as they have
> been auto added when the were added as requesters on a ticket, this has
> created their accounts as such:
>
> Username: user at ggu.edu
> Email:     user at ggu.edu
> Real Name:  user at ggu.edu
>
> I think this is causing a problem for ExternalAuth as it tries to create
> a new user with Username: user but then fails as the email address is
> already in use. I did a query and I have several hundred uses like this,
> I am upgrading from 3.6.6 FYI.
>
> I'm thinking it might be best to create some sql to remove the
> "@ggu.edu" from all user names rather then try to modify the add user
> code to look for both user and user at ggu.edu
>
> Thoughts anyone?

This has always been a difficult one.

I *could* have it like this: Lookup user, load user info, check e-mail
address, if address in use, overwrite previous user with new details -
but this could cause some serious issues.

As you suggest, it may simply be better to leave it to the individual
administrator to decide whether to clean up the users database as each
one comes up or via a scripted change.

Since ExternalAuth has been refactored, I could add an Overlay to have
ExternalAuth checked for info when a user is auto-created by e-mail and
have the info loaded then. It wouldn't help past users, but would help
future users that start by e-mail and then login.

I could have it periodically do a complete pull from LDAP and create
users in RT for all users in LDAP, but that could complicate things
later on for certain users.

As I said, I'm really not sure how best to deal with it.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com