[rt-users] Trouble upgrading to 3.8.1

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 9 12:53:55 EDT 2008

Stephen,

	Very funny HA! No, it's not the "F" word. I didn't want to give out any
company-specific directory names so I wouldn't get in trouble. This is
an Upgrade from 3.6.4. on a Unix/Solaris machine and the DB is Oracle 10g.
	I DID read the "README" and "README.Oracle" files and some of it made
sense, some of it was Greek.
	I guess I was just surprised that an install package would tell me I
needed a later version of something I thought was already in the
package. I don't understand why it would say it or even how the install
package could be missing things that the 'testdeps' would find. In other
words, my question is also, "Why isn't the latest of everything included
in the install package"? But I think I understand now that the install
package doesn't contain all the software. It contains the ability to
"check" for the software and the 'fixdeps' will oad what is needed. That
helps the understanding a bit.
	Any clues as to why the "C" compiler is needed? Thanks.

Kenn
LBNL