[rt-users] Condition scrip

Eli Altman eli at gmnameplate.com
Fri Oct 24 11:26:35 EDT 2008

Stefan, RT may already be configured to do what you need right out of the box.  I'd suggest learning more about Scrips and Templates when you have time.  How much experience do you have with RT?

>I want to initiate a ticket and send a standard email out with an
>attachment that will be different each time.

Please explain further "with an attachment that will be different each time."  When a ticket is created, by default RT will send an email to the requestor using the 'Default Autoresponse template'  This basically says something like, "Thank you for submitting a ticket." But you can customize it to say anything you'd like.

>My thinking was as follows:
>Users creates new ticket in queue with a subject.
>Selects ticket and changes the requester to the person who will get the email.

This should happen by default if the scrip action includes Notify Requestor (which it does for the standard AutoReply scrip)  The ticket creator is usually the Requestor, unless that is overridden by a privileged user when the ticket is created through the WebUI or overridden using the CommandByEmail plugin.

>Selects a reply on the ticket and attaches the document.

Does the reply document need to be an actual attachment, or can it just be a canned response in the body of the email?  Reason I'm asking, you can customize 'templates' to display whatever message you'd like in the RT emails.  As earlier, the default email templates in RT are pretty good.  I believe most of us use them with only a few modifications.  Actually attaching a specific file to those emails may be more challenging, but not out of the question.

>Now, instead of typing out the same email body every time or copying
>and pasting from an old one, I would like to use the scrips and
>templates to do that.
>I would think I need to put a condition to only send the template when
>the status is changing from New to Open.

Scrip Condition: On Open
Action: Notify Requestor
Template: <create your own>
Stage: TransactionCreate

>As there could be further
>correspondence later I don't want the standard template to go out
>after the initial email.

If you are saying you don't want the standard AutoReply going out when someone creates a ticket, you can simply disable that one Scrip by changing 'Stage' to 'Disabled' on the scrip responsible for the AutoReply.  To sum up, you can create as many custom scrips and templates as you'd like, to be triggered by anything.. status changing to something specific, based on content of the subject, the content of the ticket itself, specific requestors, etc.

Elias