[rt-users] Merged Ticket Performance Degredation (still trying!)

Damon Miller damon at thinkingphones.com
Wed Oct 29 15:56:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I posted about this problem a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately
we're still seeing regular "hangs" and frankly I'm out of ideas.  Here's
the quick summary:

We're using RT 3.6.1 and when loading merged tickets we see severe
performance degredation, e.g. 100 - 300 seconds per ticket.  After 30
seconds, Apache gives up on the FastCGI script and generates a 500.
This problem has been documented and referenced in several posts, but I
have been unable to find a resolution.  The following from Jesse seems
to be the most descriptive:

"Yep. it's not recursion. It's RT::Transaction::TicketObj which should
be made smarter. Rather than loading a ticket by id, it should be

Here's the full thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/72384.

Mark Blackman suggested I update our Syslog configuration as follows (in
RT_SiteConfig.pm):

@LogToSyslogConf = ( socket => 'native' ) unless (@LogToSyslogConf);

I did this but unfortunately we're seeing the same hangs.  I also tried
reducing the loglevel so the merged ticket messages aren't being stored
at all but that didn't help either (though the log is growing much less
quickly now!).

Any suggestions would be much-appreciated.

Thanks,

Damon

P.S.  I checked the code for RT 3.8.1 and the "TODO" regarding merged
ticket loads is still present so I'm assuming the performance issue is
also still present.

--

Damon T. Miller
Director of Application Services