[rt-users] Errors on installing RT 3.8.1

calvin chiang calvinchiang at utilyx.com
Fri Sep 12 11:15:47 EDT 2008

it's working!!

ok i'm just posting this in case anybody comes across it and wants to
find out what happened.

it's pretty simple - i wasnt checking the logs. the apache logs to be
precise which for me are in /var/log/apache2/error.log

the error i was getting was:
DBI connect('dbname=rtdb','rtuser',...) failed: Access denied for user
'rtuser'@'' to database 'rtdb'
at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106
[Wed Sep 10 16:19:25 2008] [error] [client 127.0.1.1] Connect Failed
Access denied for user 'rtuser'@'' to database 'rtdb'\n
at /opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT.pm line 204\n

that makes a lot more sense - nothing to do with modperl at all.

then from there it took me a while again to realise that it was looking
for rtuser@ ... instead of rtuser at localhost

found out that it was there was a problem in my RT_SiteConfig.pm.. i had
the two lines:

Set($DatabaseHost   , '');
Set($DatabaseRTHost , '');

now i'm sure i only added these entries because i read a post that said
i should.

so just filled the blanks with localhost as per:
Set($DatabaseHost   , 'localhost');
Set($DatabaseRTHost , 'localhost');

reloaded apache. bob's your uncle.

thanks Curtis for your help on this one