[rt-users] 3.8.0 upgrade to 3.8.1 mysql upgrade error

Adam Engel adamengel at specializedbusinesssoftware.com
Fri Sep 12 14:29:00 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

Im working upgrading a test installation of 3.8.0 to 3.8.1 and am
getting an error while running the mysql upgrade script.  We have been
running mysql 4.1 for a while now and I didn't realize until yesterday
by reading through the list that I needed to upgrade the RT schema.  I
figured that upgrading from 3.8.0 to 3.8.1 would be a good time to do this.

Upgrading the schema, I get the following error:

    ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 131: You have an error in your SQL
    syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
    version for the right syntax to use near 'CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL
    DEFAULT NULL' at line 1

The line in question is:

    ALTER TABLE Templates MODIFY Content BLOB CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL
    DEFAULT NULL;

I read up on this error and it looks like people suggested BLOB should
be TEXT instead.  Can anyone confirm this before I go and wreck the
database by accident?

Thanks!

-Adam