[rt-users] Difference between Parent/Child and Depends on/Depended on by?

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 22 09:03:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:10:22 -0400, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what is the conceptual difference between Parent/Child and Depends on/
> Depended on by? To me, they mean essentially the same and I can't come
> up with a use case where both would be used simultaneously or even just
> differently.
>
> If there is no real difference, wouldn't it make sense to deprecate
> either (while still supporting it, of course).
>

> Richard

Parent/child simply describes a relationship between tickets (children
belong to parent). Depends on enforces a rule - the depended on ticket
must be resolved before its dependent tickets can be resolved.

I would point you to the RT Essentials book, but this part is backwards in
the book (in my edition at least).

STeve

--
Stephen Turner