[rt-users] RT feature request

Sean stroke_of_death at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 05:09:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

Not sure what/where the appropriate place is for an RFE, just thought I'd suggest it while im thinking of it.

I'd like to suggest a way to implement a .. for lack of better terminology, a "ticket flow" so - for example - User X wants to order a server. This goes through several different people/queues, it would go to the purchasing queue first, then the facilities queue, than the appropriate OS groups build queue. Right now, this can be done with
a manual parent/child method (i.e. user X request is the parent, and a child is created for each subtask) or the ticket is moved from queue-to-queue/group to group. It has been asked if, instead of a manual process, a "flow" could be modeled whereby a build ticket would be created, and when that ticket was closed, a new one (or child or however this would want to be done) automatically created in the next step until resolution.
This would take a lot of the manual-ness out of the process.

Along with this comes the possibility of ticket types - incident vs. problem vs. build vs. quote request etc etc etc.. Whats nice about this
is that you can have a ticket of a "build" type go into the facilities queue, and that ticket, since it is a build type, could have a bunch of required custom fields that facilities would need to fill out (coincidentily, ticket types could be linked to the flow suggestion above - meaning a build type ticket would automatically go into the "build" flow) - and at the same time, a ticket for someone needing a machine physically power cycled could submit a trouble ticket to the facilities queue - and that ticket, since it's not a build type ticket but a trouble ticket, would have none of the custom fields that the build type had.

So, my RFE is for a flow modelling ability along with a ticket type attribute that triggers various custom fields and links with flow types.

Im sure like I said in the first suggestion, these sorts of things
can be manually done, and certain things may have been suggested in various forms in the past, so I apologize if this is redundant, mainly, I just want to automate a lot of what is done manually today, and offer
uses a lot of "bang for their buck" so to speak with this change, offering a lot of flexibility to an already great tool.

Apologize also if this was the wrong place to suggest this to.

Thanks,
Sean