[rt-users] One-time Cc silently refuses to send mail to RT account names

Gary Hall hall at fas.sfu.ca
Wed Aug 19 19:05:39 EDT 2009

Greetings,

We are using RT-3.8.4 to handle help requests from users who have
accounts on our network.

The RT account names for our users match their system account names in
order to allow them to authenticate to RT using their system passwords
(via pwauth and PAM). Thus, system user 'smith' has an RT account 'smith'.

If an operator adds 'smith' to the One-time Cc field of a Reply or
Comment and updates the ticket, no message is sent to 'smith'. However,
if the operator adds Smith's fully-qualified email address to the
One-time Cc field (e.g., smith at example.com), a message is sent.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but the silent failure to
send the message surprised at least one of our operators and led to a
miscommunication.

Is there a reason why RT account names are not accepted as values for
this field?
--
Gary Hall
Network Support Group