[rt-users] RT doesn't send HTML emails

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Tue Dec 15 17:51:28 EST 2009

On 12/15/2009 11:57 AM, Shawn M Moore wrote:
> On 09/12/15 11:51, Nicolas GUIOT wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a brand new setup( 3.8.4, DB migrated from 3.6.1), I was hoping to have email sent in HTML format, but it's not the case.
>>
>> I do have Set($PreferRichText, 1); in RT_SiteConfig.pm, but that doesn't solve my problem.
>>
>> I can see the WYSIWYG editor, tickets show with  font/colors etc.. in the GUI, but emails are still plain text.
>>
>> Do I have something else to configure ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> RT's templates are plaintext. If you want HTML versions of the
> templates, you'll have to write them yourself. There may be useful
> examples on the wiki.
>
> In your RT distribution there's a file called docs/templates.pod with
> more information about HTML templates.
>
> That documentation also says "We welcome contributions of HTML-ization
> of builtin templates." As far as I know we have had no such
> contributions! :)

Has anyone tried using html templates yet?  Just recently I tried converting
most of our templates into html, it worked okay, but was a little tricky,
trying to get them formatted right so that both the plain text & html
alternative parts look about the same.  Basically I used a <pre> block with
some additional formatting tags and white-spacing.

I think RT uses the HTML::TreeBuilder to first create an object tree from
the html, then HTML::FormatText to output that tree as plain text.  I think
that module may be a little buggy though since it would sometimes insert
newlines where there shouldn't be any or remove ones that it shouldn't,
messing up the plain text alternative part.

~Jason