[rt-users] Security risk! Passwords can be compromised!

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 2 18:16:38 EST 2009

Akash,

Just as a general point of etiquette, it's customary to notify vendors
of security related issues privately before publicly announcing them.
Posting the details of security-related issues to a public mailinglist
without giving the folks who make a package to address a potential
vulnerability is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Thankfully, at first glance, it looks like the issue you've run into
isn't particularly dangerous.  RT ships with stack trace logging
disabled and _generally_ the folks who have access to application logs
are also the folks who manage the application.

I do believe that the issue you've noticed merits a note in the config
file that it's possible for sensitive data to get logged if that
function is enabled. I intend to make that change for RT 3.8.3, but
don't currently believe that this issue requires an accelerated release
schedule.

Best,

Jesse Vincent
Best Practical