[rt-users] Hardware Config

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Feb 10 05:13:10 EST 2009

Mike Peachey schrieb:
> Martin Maurer wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone tried running RT in a virtual machine?
>>>
>> yes, we also have a ready to run virtual appliance,
>> See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/RT_Request_Tracker
>>
> <snip>
>
>> I am working also with vmware since years (and also other virtualizations technologies) and the biggest issue is IO performance.
>> We prefer OpenVZ for database intensive servers like RT as we have NO virtual disks here you get the best performance.
>>
>> On VMWare, you got virtual disks which costs performance. So if you want to go for VMware, I suggest you invest some money in a fast SAN.
>> (Or, if you want to try fast and cost effective virtualization - try Proxmox VE)
>>
>> Just to mention:
>> you can also install Proxmox VE inside your VMware and use the virtual appliance - then RT performs similar as you install it "by hand" in your VMWare environment.
>>

> I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting a little uncomfortable
> with your posts (to RT-Users and to the Wiki) being little more than an
> advert for proxmox rather than a real contribution to the community.

Well, it's a fine line...

> I'm not saying I don't want you mentioning it, but I personally would
> appreciate it if you could tone down the advertising.

Personally, I don't mind. But I know that you can get carried away if
you have built something and it works...
I do use Virtuozzo (the commercial version of OpenVZ), but I'm not sure
I would trust it with RT ;-)
OTOH, it's mostly because I like the way perl-stuff is handled in FreeBSD.

Rainer