[rt-users] Severe performance problems suddenly in RT 3.8.2

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 17:26:11 EST 2009

On 17 Feb 2009, at 6:16 pm, Jesse Vincent wrote:

>> I believe so (Tim did it).

> That just looks...crazy. Can you try an OPTIMIZE TABLE Attachments; ?
> (It may take ... a while.)

OK, OPTIMIZE TABLE done, but performance on SELECT COUNT(id) FROM
Attachments is still terrible:

This does sort of smell like an optimiser bug - it says it's using
indices, but the level of I/O being done by the machine suggests it's
actually performing a full table scan.

mysql> optimize table Attachments;
+------------------+----------+----------+----------+
| Table            | Op       | Msg_type | Msg_text |
+------------------+----------+----------+----------+
| rtdb.Attachments | optimize | status   | OK       |
+------------------+----------+----------+----------+
1 row in set (23 min 11.29 sec)

mysql> select count(id) from Attachments;
+-----------+
| count(id) |
+-----------+
|    806180 |
+-----------+
1 row in set (3 min 27.42 sec)

mysql> explain select count(id) from Attachments;
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+---------
+---------+------+---------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table       | type  | possible_keys | key     |
key_len | ref  | rows    | Extra       |
+----+-------------+-------------+-------+---------------+---------
|  1 | SIMPLE      | Attachments | index | NULL          | PRIMARY |
4       | NULL | 3065551 | Using index |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Now, I may be being silly here, but how can a table with only 806180
id's in its primary key have more than 3 million rows?  And counting
them takes three minutes, which really isn't many rows a second...

Tim