[rt-users] Severe performance problems suddenly in RT 3.8.2

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 18:12:12 EST 2009

On 17 Feb 2009, at 6:39 pm, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

> I hope you see that mysql examined only 27 rows and spend 240 seconds
> to do that. I suspect that it's related to very high IO activity that
> were going parallel with this query and blocked mysql's IO requests.

That was my worry.  I've shuffled the virtual machine onto a physical
server with no other VM's running, and the performance problem remains
the same.  The graph of disk I/O from the VMware control center shows
the system doing no I/O at all until I start the SELECT, and then it
goes to about 15 MB/sec for the duration of the query.

So if there is contention, it's not at the level of the physical
server's I/O.  However, it could still be contention for the SAN
volume which hosts the virtual machine; I find this hard to believe
since the total I/O of all three physical servers is pretty low, but I
will try tomorrow to see what happens if I move the virtual machine to
its own piece of storage,

Tim