[rt-users] Users

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Fri Feb 20 14:41:43 EST 2009

Alberto,

	Users are everywhere. Not only are they related to Principals, they are
also related to ACL (if they have any rights), To GROUPS, GROUPMEMBERS,
CACHEDGROUPMEMBERS, TRANSACTIONS, and TICKETS. For example. Let's say
your RT installation allows Users to be added when they create a ticket
via Email. Let's also say that you have set privileges to allow ALL
Requestors some rights. Now an EMail is sent to RT. The result will be
as follows:

	1) USER record for this person.
	2) PRINCIPAL record for this person.
	3) GROUP record for the "User-Equiv" record for this User.
	4) GROUPMEMBER for this User (as a Requestor) and this will repeat for
all ticket this person has requested. There will also be records for
everygroup this User is in, like "Everyone" and "
Privileged".
	5) CACHEDGROUPMEMBER record for each ticket and group.
	6) TICKET record will have the User if they end up as an owner.
	7) TRANSACTION record will exist for the initial Email that was sent
listing the User as the "CREATOR".
	8) ATTACHMENTS record will exist for the User as the "CREATOR" for any
attachments that came with the Email.
	9) ATTRIBUTES record will also exist if this User has the rights to
create Queries and does and saves them. OR if this User uses the WebUI
and sets up one of the default queries in  their home page. An ATTRIBUTE
record will exist for each query.

	So, as you can see, the User can exist all over the place.
	As to your second question, I would go in as the "SuperUSer" and
navigate thus Configuration->Users and find this user and make sure the
two boxes at the bottom are checked. This will give the User the ability
to acces the system AND have privileges granted. From that point, I
would put the User in a group with other User that need the same
privileges so you won't have to maintain rights on an individual basis,
which is a LOT of work.

	Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL