[rt-users] DB upgrade for RT 3.8 fails

Alex Moura alexsm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:55:38 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Andy Smith <a.smith at ukgrid.net> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
>   yes, Im not averse to compiling software from source, but actaully
> having not been using it for very long (I was on various different
> Unixs before) Ive been very impressed with FreeBSD ports (no probs
> with Horde/IMP BTW). Much more so than Linux tools such as yum and
> apt-get which I dont really trust (tho that may be cos I dont know
> them sufficiently well). Anyway thats just a by the by in case you or
> anyone else every facies trying FreeBSD and ports package management ;).
>
> TBH Im happy to wait for the ports, more or less as a matter of good
> practice so that its easier to track whats installed on servers,
> manage package dependencies, and also portaudit is a great tool for
> checking your system against known vulnarabilites (might not cover
> 100% of issues but handy). Although in the same moment I accept ports
> or other package management systems arent always the best way to
> install software, when you are dealing with a lot of systems and a lot
> of programs the good outweighs the bad (especially with ports ;) ),

Hi Andy,

Agreed! We also run rt over FreeBSD since rt-1.0.7, and we rely
on the ports tools to keep track of third-party packages in our servers,
otherwise it would be an unbearable task, once that mantaining our
dept. IT infrasctructure is not our mission.

I've contacted the www/rt38 port mantainer. Altough he didn't gave me
a schedule, he told me that the port update is his todo list. I also am
eager waiting the port for rt-3.8.2. :-(

Best regards,

Alex