[rt-users] UI Patch - Add whitespace at top of MessageBox if it's a reply/comment

Adam Tingle adamtingle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:02:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
>
>> I don't think this should be merged into base, as it promotes top-posting.
>>

> The patch adds blank lines before the signature.   The signature is at the
> bottom of the message...
>
> The only time this would qualify as "top-posting" is when the reply or
> comment is done without any previous comment, and which case it's not really
> top-posting.

I think you guys convinced me that top-posting is a bad idea when it comes
to RT: I didn't clue in right away that the reply link at the top of the
ticket creates a reply without quoting anything. Since the ticket has the
entire history, usually there's no need to reply with previous messages
quoted.

I think Jo is on the right track though. I didn't have signatures enabled
before, but now that I do I see the problem. When you click 'reply' to a
message, the blank lines are inserted between the end of the quoted message
and the signature, but when you click 'reply' at the top of the ticket or
create a new ticket, the signature is the only text in the message. It would
be handy to have the whitespace included there instead.

Adam Tingle