[rt-users] RT for Project Management

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 23 17:54:25 EDT 2009

Bryan,

RT (3.x ) is an issue tracking tool, not a Project Management tool.
There are no built-in charts and reports for such, as RT lets you devise
your own.
There are many Project Management (PM) and Portfolio Project Management
(PPM) tools out there, they cost a bit of money to either use their
system (SaaS/OnDemand) or to get their software installed "in house". I
believe Project.Net is "open-source" so they would be a good pick for a
total PPM package. @Task is a good one (PPM), but it costs.
The PPM software available is also broken up by orientation (ie. IT PPM
or Business PPM, etc.).
 I believe that RT 4.x is headed in that direction. Hopefully, it will
be a good competitive product with Project.net & @TASK. From what I've
seen of RT, I think it will.

However, using the RT version we have available, many things will need
to be added by you. First, you need to have an idea of what your
infrastructure will be. You need to have a WorkFlow process in place for
Reviewing & approving a ticket initially, the development done for a
ticket, and the QA aproval process.

This is important because all your work, new Queues, Groups, what work
will be in what Queues, what groups have rights to what work/Queues,
etc. will be based on that infrastructure/Workflow rules. The scrips you
write, both for notifications and for added functionality (like
pre-setting ticket owners based on a Custom Field value OR automatically
changing the status of a ticket because a ticket was "QA approvd", like
resolving a ticket does) will all require consistency within that
agreed-upon infrastructure. Even the names you give Queues and groups
should have a consistency/convention that gives some structure to the
whole thing.

Once this is done, you will be able to decide what Queues to create,
groups of users, rights, what Custom Fields to create for which Queues
and how they will be used for ticket processing.

The Parent/Child/DependsOn Links that RT allows will easily fit into a
simple Query, but trying to get all the due dates of each
Parent/Child/DependsOn relationship will require a bit more complicated
SQL than you will get with RT Query.

So, until you have the infrastructure and workflow processes and naming
conventions worked out, it would be hard suggest what you asked for.

I hope I didn't go too far in answering your question.;-).

Kenn
LBNL