[rt-users] why is RTFM demanding CPAN?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jul 28 16:08:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:54:51PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
>    I'm trying to install RTFM 2.4.2 and it's trying to set up all sorts of CPAN stuff.  Why?  I
>    can tell you now that this isn't going to work.   I'm only using a normal user account, and
>    frankly I detest CPAN and the whole "screw up all the perl-based software on your system
>    easily and automatically!" that is CPAN.  If RTFM needs some perl modules, I will evaluate and
>    install them one by one, carefully.   Ad-hoc installs and upgrades only break things that have
>    differing dependancies.
>    I don't mind having to upgrade a different piece of software to resolve a version dependancy
>    issue -- but i hate having it broken for me, before I am even aware there will be a problem.
>    Auto-package-install is guaranteed failure unless you limit yourself to one perl-based
>    software package per machine.
>    In the next update, please make it possible for a person to not use CPAN.   "make testdeps"
>    should do the job just fine, thank you.  You can have "make fixdeps" use CPAN -- I'll never
>    run it, and that way people who want to swath/trash/destroy can do so at their leisure ;-)

RTFM is a normal perl module, it does not have a make testdeps or make
fixdeps action

It sounds like when you ran perl Makefile.PL there were warnings about
missing perl modules that you ignored, and RTFM is configured to run
Module::AutoInstall.  You can read the docs for that module and it
talks about arguments to Makefile.PL that will simulate testdeps or
fixdeps for you, and how to disable auto installation.

-kevin