[rt-users] 3.6.7 to 3.8.2 upgrade issue (mysql)

Karel Vervaeke karel at outerthought.org
Wed Jun 3 03:51:05 EDT 2009

Hi list,

Due to persistent memory problems I decided to try and upgrade to a
more recent version of RT. (RT 3.6 was installed on a xen VM running
Debian etch using the default apt package.  In the mean time the
machine has been upgraded to Debian lenny, without side-effects for
RT.  After the distro upgrade RT 3.8 was installed (again using apt).

The mysql db upgrade script was generated like this:
perl /usr/share/request-tracker3.8/etc/upgrade/upgrade-mysql-schema.pl
rtdb rtuser rt > rt-upgrade-mysql.sql

Unfortunately the upgrade script fails at line 210:
209  ALTER TABLE Users MODIFY Name VARBINARY(200) NOT NULL;
210  ALTER TABLE Users MODIFY Name VARCHAR(200) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL;

This is due to the fact that we have these records in the users database:
703 xxxxxxxxxe at customer.com
723 xxxxxxxxxé@customer.com

Both email addresses belong to the same person - the Users table
currently is using charset latin1.
What's the best way to move forward?
* Should I alter the upgrade script to make the Name column accent sensitive?
* Alternatively I update all tables so they point to the same user
record and remove the conflicting one (but what will happen when a new
email from that address arrives?)

Regards,
Karel