[rt-users] Asset Tracker

charlie derr cderr at simons-rock.edu
Wed Jun 24 11:56:26 EDT 2009

Stephen Cochran wrote:

> I was just looking at the Asset Tracker package and reading through the
> threads in the archives.
>
> Does anyone have any screenshots on what it looks like in 3.8.x?

Yeah, but I'm terrible with graphics, so hopefully someone else has provided for you by now?  If not, just hit me with a personal
email and I'll get something to you.

> Second question is what is the DB structure for the assets, specifically
> what fields available?

It's pretty amazingly customizable.  There's a bunch of standard boilerplate stuff (that all seems pretty well-thought out) but
the real power is that you can add whatever you want and granularly control which attributes get assigned to which asset types
pretty easily (and robustly) through the web interface once you get the hang of it.

My only (small) criticism of the boilerplate stuff is that the model for not allowing a MAC address to be entered without an IP
was frustrating for our use case (all are inventory is not always deployed and we'd still like to be able to store the MAC
address(es) without having to create a "dummy" IP), so I simply created my own (optional) fields for MAC addresses and we instead
use that attribute (instead of the already available one).

> Steve

    good luck, and sorry for the delay in my reply,
         ~c