[rt-users] Asset tracking, multiple Contacts in same company, Custom fields, RTFM and more

Kevin Phair kevin at nyi.net
Sun Mar 1 12:00:47 EST 2009

who else wrote:
 > After dealing a bit with RT and checking out quite a lot of posts in this
 > list, i come up with my scenario which would suit me best, perhaps
someone
 > out there has done something similar:
 >
 > We need to do support for clients, which have usually more than one
contact
 > to communicate with us and more than one system. The systems use to be
 > listed by name and a system id.
 > I'd like to be able to enter assets for each company, showing on the
 > contacts details and also in Ticket, i.e. contact "mt" sends a
request, we'd
 > like to add the information, that this was about System Asystem1,
Type MC,
 > Version 3.1, SysID 4567890

For the above idea, you can try this:
http://code.google.com/p/asset-tracker-4rt/wiki/HowToLinkTicketToAssetScrip

In theory, you add a ticket custom field, and the user can then just
stick in the name of an asset and the ticket will be linked to that
asset.  So far it isn't actually working for me, but I haven't played
with it yet to see why not.

Asset Tracker does appear to be alive, you can take a look around
http://code.google.com/p/asset-tracker-4rt/.  It does appear to work
under the latest release of RT.  You may want to grab the 1.2.4b1
version for the bug fixes it has.

 > Would also be great, if we could attach files to the "company".

I've been hoping to use RTFM for this, but haven't actually tested out
my plan.  For now, the plan is to create a 'class' in RTFM for each
company, and then upload files into one or more articles.

 > I understand, that multiple contacts in same company is a real problem
 > currently, but i think, that there must be more companies out there,
having
 > the same problem. So anybody got a workflow for this?

Is there any reason that 'groups' will not work for this?  I'm looking
into replacing our in-house ticket-system/client database/kitchen-sink
system with an RT-based setup.  My preliminary plan is to dump all
clients and their related users and use the rt tool to create
corresponding groups with their users, after creating the custom fields
necessary to match to the current set of data we have for each user.  Is
there a reason that this will not work well in RT?