[rt-users] BUG: has StealTicket but gets "You can only take tickets which are unowned?"

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Mar 5 18:16:00 EST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> On Thu  5.Mar'09 at  2:11:34 -0800, Jo Rhett wrote:
>> I think you're missing the point though.  If you don't allow
>> Stealticket
>> then this wouldn't matter.  The only question is "if they can Steal
>> the
>> ticket, why force them to take duplicate steps" ?
>
> Because Steal isn't the same thing as Take. Steal is an explicit
> "break
> the ownership lock" command. Making every "take" an implicit "steal"
> destroys any utility ownership locking has.

I think what we're bumping into here is a total lack of documentation
on how this locking has been theorized and is supposed to work.

I don't witness this locking behavior at all.  Based on the rights
here, anyone can answer any ticket, any time.  That is pretty much how
we want it.  So having part of the system trying to enforce a stricter
policy that we've defined the rights for doesn't make sense to me.
(not that stricter shouldn't be possible -- it should be, just not if
we want to turn it off)

If there was some documentation on how Take and Steal are supposed to
interact, with some guidelines on how to properly implement some
common scenarios, I wouldn't be so confused.  If someone has this on
the top of their brain or already written down somewhere and can punt
it into the wiki (as the only apparent source of updated
documentation) that would be great.

Notes:

1. Yes someday I'll have time to read the code and then I will
document it so I won't forget it.  That day isn't today, and won't be
anytime in the next week either.

2. I'm not arguing that any else should have as loose of a policy as
we do.  Different needs for different environments.  I'm just
suggesting that someone else wanting it tighter shouldn't mean that we
*must* run our organization the same way.  For anyone who wants a "one
true way" point of view there is always OTRS ;-)

3. What does seem to be lacking is real locking -- preventing race
conditions on "who types the fastest".  When I have some free time, I
was going to see how hard it would be to implement "someone is typing
on this ticket RIGHT NOW" kind of locks.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness