[rt-users] BUG: has StealTicket but gets "You can only take tickets which are unowned?"

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Mar 5 18:21:26 EST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Kenneth Crocker wrote:
> 	I only grant ticket owners the "ModifyTicket" right, so noone CAN
> bulkudate a ticket that isn't theirs.

For your environment that may make sense, but not here.  OTRS enforces
that kind of approach -- you can't turn it off without hacking the
source code.  And our general overhead to respond to a ticket was 8-
times-higher than the actual time spent answering the tickets.

When you have a fairly equal support team and anybody can answer
almost everything, the last thing in the world you want to do is force
people to keep unassigning and reassigning tickets to themselves.  In
our environment 98% of tickets never take an owner.  We only do that
to indicate that "only I can do this, ya'all leave it be"

Using RT with everyone having OwnTicket, TakeTicket, StealTicket,
ModifyTicket, etc has reduced our overheard to about 1.2:1 which is
totally acceptable in our mind.  Now people have stopped avoiding
using the ticket system because it's no longer a PITA to use.

Anyway, long post for a short idea: different uses for different
users ;-)  This particular piece of code seems to implement a stricter
policy that clashes with the rights assignments.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness