[rt-users] Advice for New Machine

Sean sean at ttys0.net
Fri Mar 13 16:26:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 15:16 -0500, John Arends wrote:
> Gary Greene wrote:
> > I would go CentOS for the machine if you're a RH person, since it is
> > practically the same thing, and there are more than a few of us CentOS
> > users running RT with our own RPMs.
> >
> What version of RT are you running on top of CentOS? With 3.8.2 there
> are so many dependencies it seems to be a near impossible task to build
> RPMs for all the required perl modules. I've been playing with the
> script included with RT and it does a pretty good job of pulling
> everything down from CPAN and installing it.

We recently updated from 3.6 to 3.8. I tried to get 3.8.2 going in an
OpenSolaris (snv_101) zone and Ubuntu 8.10 (also tried Jaunty alpha)
server installation. Neither was anywhere close to a clean install, and
neither worked to my level of satisfaction. I ended up using a Gentoo
server. In my opinion, Gentoo and RT 3.8 is a pretty good match. Being a
source based distribution helps, I think.

Just my 2c.

-Sean