[rt-users] RT 4 - status report

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Mar 20 13:25:46 EDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> At the same time, we've moved RT from its own homegrown application
> framework to Jifty, Best Practical's next-generation web application
> platform.  Jifty brings with it all sorts of new features which make
> it
> easier to build out web services and web applications with less code
> and
> easier support for modern Web 2.0 features.

That's good.  Would this change improve the ability to run RT in a
virtual server environment, instead of having to pretty much commit an
entire machine to it?   The number of things which "must be done by
root" which don't actually need root permissions, and could run under
a more limited user is quite large.  But they are difficult to
overcome with hacking the source due to assumptions built into the code.

I've got RT working entirely within a virtual/shared web server
environment, but it's a lot of work.  And honestly, the "lot of work"
has entirely to do with built-in-assumptions rather than actual
problems that prevent its implementation that way.  I'm trying to
figure out how to document all of the work required for this.

If I was to grab to 4.0 codebase and start finding and sending patches
to prevent these kind of assumptions from being made, it would make me
a lot happier.  I'm also certain it would broaden the potential
userbase and resolve a great many of the questions that come up on
this list.

Not that OTRS is as good as RT.   But you can untar OTRS inside a
shared virtual server and have it up and running without ever becoming
root in 5 minutes.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness