[rt-users] Using RT in a large organization (thousands of users)

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Mar 24 13:10:17 EDT 2009

On Tue 24.Mar'09 at 10:16:27 +0200, Peter Dole wrote:
>    Hi,
>    In the BestPractical web site, RT is described as "RT is a ticketing
>    system for small- to medium-sized organizations".

That's our small-companiness showing. The problem is really that we
don't spend much, if any time on the marketing side of things. This is
probably obvious by the state of the corporate website.  That prose
dates from...sometime around 2002 or so, when RT really wasn't in use in
a whole lot of high-volume applications.

At the time, I would have blanched if you'd said you wanted to deploy
RT somewhere handling 1000 tickets a day.  These days, I know of
organizations pushing 10,000 tickets through RT on a slow day, bursting
to over 20,000 when things get busy.

>    3. Am I better off looking at a commercial system like Remedy / Peregrine
>    (for our organization size), due to potential cost of custom development
>    integrating RT?

You should know that I'm biased, but I certainly don't think so.  RT is
robust and scalable and there's an excellent community here and on
rt-devel....And of course, we at Best Practical can provide the sort of
commercial support you'd expect for a mission critical application.

Best,
Jesse