[rt-users] Active Directory authentication

Jeff Lucas jlucas at eagleinvsys.com
Fri May 1 15:18:12 EDT 2009

I have been able to get authentication via AD working but need to work
around an issue.

In AD...

sAMAccountName = ABC456

mail=jdoe at company.com

As you can see, the users email address is not always
<sAMAccountName>@company.com.

This is a problem now that I want to use rt-mailgate and want to stay
away from users having two accounts in RT... one based on their
sAMAccountName and another based on their e-mail address (which would be
the case if folks create tickets via email and we continue to use
sAMAccountName for the RT username and I grant 'Everyone' the right
'CreateTicket' and allow for the auto-creation of new users).

If want to use people's email address for their RT username...

1)      how do I authenticate them against AD with their email address
and AD password instead of sAMAccountName and password?  Is this
something that would need to be configured/allowed in AD?

2)      Or, could I have users authenticate against AD with their
sAMAccountName but somehow have their username in RT be their email
address?

Thanks in advance.