[rt-users] Database upgrade issue from RT 3.6.3 to RT 3.8.4

Joop JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Tue Nov 3 02:53:01 EST 2009

Varun wrote:

> Hello All
>

> I have recently upgraded my application from RT 3.6.3 to 3.8.4.
> Application has seems to be upgraded correctly but when I have
> upgraded database. It has shown me that database upgrade is
> successful. And I have also been able to log in system but whenever I
> tried to see the basics of any tickets or custom fields of any ticket
> RT has gone into infinite loop of query and seems to have been never
> returned from it when I checked in logs it has shown me this error
>

> [error] [client 192.168.7.79] FastCGI: server
> "/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: RT::Handle=HASH(0xb8dce30)
> couldn't prepare the query 'SELECT main.* FROM Attributes main  WHERE
> (main.Content = '3') AND (main.Name = 'BasedOn') AND (main.ObjectType
> = 'RT::CustomField') 'ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected -
> got CLOB (DBD ERROR: error possibly near <*> indicator at char 43 in
> 'SELECT main.* FROM Attributes main  WHERE (<*>main.Content = '3') AND
> (main.Name = 'BasedOn') AND (main.ObjectType = 'RT::CustomField') '),
> referer: http://rtbeta.elitecore.co.in/Ticket/Display.html?id=132467

A good idea is when you get errors like these in your rt.log is to cut
and paste the sql statement into sqlplus and see if it will give you an
error message that is more clear then rt.log

SELECT main.* FROM Attributes main  WHERE (main.Content = '3') AND
(main.Name = 'BasedOn') AND (main.ObjectType = 'RT::CustomField')
                                           *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected - got CLOB

As you, hopefully, can see, the * is under main.Content = '3' and if you
know Oracle SQL a bit then it is obvious that you can't do '=' on a
CLOB. So this qualifies as a bug.

Are you sure you're on 3.8.4 because I posted to rt-devel about
something like it but that was for 3.8.6 where they overhauled
hierarchical customfields and I found that converting from old to new
resulted in something like this.

Regards,

Joop