[rt-users] RT Upgrade failing from 3.6.6 to 3.8.6

Tom Lahti toml at bitstatement.net
Mon Nov 16 19:38:21 EST 2009

Try> Yes I tried connecting to mysql directly from localhost and that
worked:

> [jbarron at help01 ~]$ mysql -u rt_user at localhost -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user
> 'rt_user at localhos'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> [jbarron at help01 ~]$ mysql -u rt_user -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 138
> Server version: 5.0.77 Source distribution
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql> exit;
> Bye
> [jbarron at help01 ~]$

On *nix, mysql programs read startup options from the following in order:

/etc/my.cnf
SYSCONFDIR/my.cnf
$MYSQL_HOME/my.cnf
The file specified with --defaults-extra-file, if any
~/.my.cnf

If any of these exist, and there is a [mysql] or [client] section that
contains a "host=..." line, then "mysql -u rt_user -p" will connect to
that host, not localhost.

To force a localhost connection, do:

mysql -h localhost -u rt_user -p

What I'm getting at is: are you sure your MySQL instance for RT is on
localhost?

   Tom Lahti, SCMDBA, LPIC-1
   BIT LLC
   (425)251-0833 x 117