[rt-users] Is SQLite no longer supported?

Ivan Voras ivoras at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:29:24 EST 2009

2009/11/25 Tom Lahti <toml at bitstatement.net>:
>> SQLite's complete lack of threading model means responding to a single
>> request at a time.
>>
>> Simply put, if you have enough users that the possibility of multiple
>> people requesting information at the same time, or a user request happening
>> when an external ticket comes in (email via rt-mailgate etc.), then you're
>> going to be causing users to stall, waiting.
>>
>> You may be able to get away with it for a small number of concurrent users
>> (1-5 maybe) in a low volume environment, but if you're wanting to do
>> anything serious with email coming in at any moment, then you'd be better
>> off setting up a MySQL/PgSQL DB.  The effort isn't much different.
>>
>> Stuart
>
> I was thinking more in terms of reporting reliability.
>
> In short, SQLite is not ACID compliant.  If underneath you are not ACID
> compliant, then there is no assurance that what's in a ticket's history
> necessarily reflects reality.  History items may have been lost due to power
> outages, locking issues, buggy web server software, etc etc etc.
>
> Without ACID compliance, you really don't have an audit trail.  You can
> pretend you do, but you really don't :)

In defence of SQLite (not that I'm especially cheering for it), it
actually is ACID compliant (http://www.sqlite.org/transactional.html,
http://www.sqlite.org/atomiccommit.html) and concurreny issues only
affect writers (readers are fully concurrent;
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html,
http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q6), so my question really was more
directed to real-world experiences with rt3 and SQLite rather than
rumours :)