[rt-users] Content-Transfer-Encoding e-mail header

Roode, Eric eroode at barrack.com
Thu Oct 1 13:35:38 EDT 2009

Hello all,

    We are having a problem where e-mail is not being delivered to
addresses outside our domain.  I have narrowed down the problem to the
e-mail headers that RT generates.  But I am clueless as to why this is a
problem.

    We are an all-Windows shop, except for one ubuntu 8.10 server that
runs RT 3.8 under Apache 2.  For mail, it uses Postfix, and routes all
mail to our local Exchange server (Exchange 2003 under Windows Server
2000).  For e-mail that RT sends to recipients inside our domain, it all
works well.  But we have some contractors who need to receive e-mail
from RT on certain events, and these contractors have addresses outside
our network.  But the mail is never delivered.

    After much experimentation, I narrowed the problem down to the
e-mail does not get delivered outside our network (e.g. to gmail.com,
yahoo.com, anywhere); if that header is absent, e-mail goes through
fine.

    syslog tells me nothing useful: No matter what, it reports "mail
queued for delivery", which I presume is coming from the Exchange
server.

    Now, I know this is not an RT problem, because I reproduced the
problem consistently at the ubuntu command line by manually invoking
sendmail.  But a) I wonder if that header is required by RT, or if an
alternative (base64?) could be used instead; and b) Maybe I'll get lucky
and someone on the list will know a solution anyhow.

Thanks in advance,

Eric J. Roode
Senior Enterprise Developer
Barrack, Rodos & Bacine