[rt-users] Web interface configuration question - moving RT off of root

Easyrider Inquiry Inquiry at Easyrider.com
Sun Oct 4 21:33:39 EDT 2009

Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> This is all a matter of Apache config.
>

>> I have a web site on this server at /var/www/html that RT has taken
>>

> Because you've told it to:
>
>>    DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html/
>>

> And you do need to set Webpath, it fixes the next problem you'll run into.

Ummmm... thanks.  That's why I included the relevant lines in the two
config files that probably need tweaking.  What I'm hoping is that
someone who really knows how this stuff works and has a mind to be
helpful can just tell me which line(s) are wrong and what they need to
be changed to.  I'm guessing this is a couple of lines of code at the
most and then I can go back to pursuing my life.

Not being an Apache guru, I'm assuming that DocumentRoot
/opt/rt3/share/html/ tells Apache that RT lives in that directory rather
than in /var/www/html, yes?  If not, then you are correct that this is
at least part of my problem.  So what do I need to do to get this
working correctly?  http://www.example.com/helpdesk used to work fine
until I decided to press on without help so it's mostly a matter of
getting Apache to NOT serve up RT if someone goes to
http://www.example.com and to respond instead to
http://www.example.com/helpdesk.

I've experimented with WebPath and several other settings based on all
the reading I've done but so far, the changes don't help or they made
things worse.  Again, it would be REALLY helpful if someone could just
provide the correct setting(s) for what I'm trying to do.

I've read reams of documentation and I searched through the last six
months of archives looking for info.  I built RT by meticulously
following the instructions.  And as near as I can tell, it's working
just swell except for this one little thing.  I tried to fix it on my
own but now I'm stuck.  Mea culpa....  I would REALLY be grateful if
someone could explain to me like I am 8 years old what I need to do.

With all of this fooling around in an area that I don't particularly
understand, I managed to break http://www.example.com/helpdesk :(

I seem to recall that you had to do something special to reload changes
to RT_siteconfig.pm (besides restarting httpd) although I saw nothing
about that in any of the docs I read.  I'm also assuming, perhaps
incorrectly, that it's more desirable to make changes to
RT_siteconfig.pm versus httpd.conf.  In the attached config files, I
have removed any entry that does not seem to be needed to make
troubleshooting easier.

http://www.example.com serves up RT just fine (but that's not how I want
it to work)

I want http://www.example.com/helpdesk (only) to serve up RT

I have SSL issues too but one thing at a time.

TIA!

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
(did not include any of the experiments that didn't help)

Alias /helpdesk "/opt/rt3/share/html/"

NameVirtualHost *:80
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html/
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
    Alias /NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
    ScriptAlias / /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
  </VirtualHost>

/opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm:
(did not include any of the experiments that didn't help)

Set($WebPath , "");
Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://localhost:$WebPort");
Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");
Set($WebImagesURL , $WebPath . "/NoAuth/images/");