[rt-users] Help Regarding Rotating Log File RT.Log

Emmanuel Lacour elacour at easter-eggs.com
Tue Oct 6 01:54:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:16:43AM +0530, Varun wrote:
> Hello All
>

> I have RT 3.6.3 installed with Apache 2.0 with fast cgi implemented. We do
> have a good hard disk space on our server but it will eventually will be
> eaten up by log files (i.e from apache and rt logs). So I want to know how I
> can rotate my RT logs. Does RT provide any provision for rotating log files
> after certain amount of file size is achieved?

RT does not handle log rotation itself.

You should use some programs like "logrotate" to rotate those logs.

If you are using LogToFile in RT then you will have to restart apache at
each rotation so it opens a new file after rotation.

The imho is to use LogToSyslog so you can treat this log like other
syslog files, and rotate it without apache restart. Syslog can also give
you better performance (not very noticeable, but it's faster than
logtofile if you configure syslog to be async for this log).