[rt-users] Duplicate ticket creation from CC's

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 7 19:23:36 EDT 2009

Kevin,

We had that problem at first as well. Those using RT had forgotten that
if their Queues were set up to notify the appropriate persons, then they
didn't need to add them as a CC. Add to that the fact that many would
continue to click "Reply All", instead of just "Reply". we had to train
them to remember about just having RT in the CC or BCC field (and the
ticket reference in the subject line). We also put that information
intoto EVERY template we use. Like this:

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

To ensure that any communication is kept with the ticket history,
   Please include the string:

         [{$rtname} #{$Ticket->id}]

   in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
To view this ticket, enter URL:

   {$RT::WebURL}Ticket/Display.html?id={$Ticket->id}

                        Thank you,
                        {$Ticket->QueueObj->CorrespondAddress()}

This is n the bottom of EVERY single template we use. Additionally, we
had a "RT Support" link on ALL our screens that allows thm access to an
FAQ page.

*Question*:**

I frequently forward email requests to my RT queue and "cc:" other users
in the same email. Sometimes one of the cc recipients will "Reply All"
to the message and a new ticket is generated in RT? How do I stop this
from happening?**

*Answer:***

Actually, it is simpler than you would think. When RT gets a message
that does *NOT* have a ticket number, it will always create a new one at
the Queue address you sent the message to (i.e [*/Queue alias)@(email
URL/*] in any "CC" field). Whether you are sending email *OUTSIDE* of
the RT system *or inside*, you can keep RT informed (ticker history)
without risking the creation of an extra ticket by doing the following:

1.      Putting the RT ticket info into the subject line somewhere. It
should look like this "*re: [lbl.gov #99999]*" where 99999 is the ticket
number. RT will never create a new ticket if the email is already
referring to one.

But, if failing to put the ticket info into the subject line, then:

*2.      *Place the RT queue email address in the BCC portion of your
email message, especially if you are going to cc other users in the same
message. This way if users Reply All to your message, RT will not
trigger a new ticket. Also, it is *VERY IMPORTANT *to be aware if any of
those users that you "cc:" are *already* listed as "cc's" or the
requestor of the referred ticket. RT will *automatically *include them
with a copy of the correspondence due to global notifications already
set up (see "Standards->Notifications), so they end up getting *TWO*
emails.**

Anyway, that's how we handles it. Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL