[rt-users] httpd.conf configuration problem

Easyrider Inquiry Inquiry at Easyrider.com
Sun Oct 11 23:09:44 EDT 2009

James Moseley wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Easyrider Inquiry
> <Inquiry at easyrider.com <mailto:Inquiry at easyrider.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello James.  Thanks VERY much for responding.
>
>     Unfortunately, no luck :(
>
>     Rather than experiment with a million more combinations before
>     replying, I'll just post the current configuration (which I
>     believe are teh settings you advised) and say that I am now
>     getting an internal server error: The server encountered an
>     internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
>     request.
>
>     /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm:
>
>     # ---- Latest advice START ---------
>
>     Set($WebPath , "/helpdesk");
>     Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com"
>     <http://backup.easyrider.com>);
>     Set($WebImagesURL , $WebPath . "/NoAuth/images/");
>
>     Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));
>     Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");
>     Set($LogoURL , $WebImagesURL . "bplogo.gif");
>     Set($LogoLinkURL, 'http://security.nocdesigns.com');
>     Set($LogoAltText, "Easyrider LAN Pro");
>     Set($WebNoAuthRegex, qr!^(?:/+NoAuth/|
>                                 /+REST/\d+\.\d+/NoAuth/)!x );
>

> In my previous post, I said get rid rid of the other Set($Web*
> syntax.  They are only confusing troubleshooting the issue and
> probably aren't needed.  If you do need specific web port and web
> regex overrides due to your specific configuration, add them back in
> later once you've gotten the basic install working.
>

>     # ---- Latest advice END -----------
>
>     /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
>
>     # Latest RT config experiment give internal server error
>
>     # ----- Latest advice START ---------
>
>           <VirtualHost *:80>
>            ServerName backup.easyrider.com <http://backup.easyrider.com>
>            AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>            AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
>            Alias /helpdesk/NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
>            ScriptAlias /helpdesk /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
>          </VirtualHost>
>

> And what did the Apache error log state?  More than likely, the
> problematic syntax in RT_SiteConfig.pm caused the error.  You also
> claim everything was working with just the server name.  What I don't
> see in the above Apache config is where you load the FastCgi module,
> amongst other things.  What module are you using, mod_fastcgi?
>
> Lastly, mail sent directly to you bounced because your server rejected
> it.  You must have received my reply via the cc to the general list.
> Please look at the mail server logs to see why it is/was rejecting mail.
>
> --
> James Moseley

Thanks for getting back to me James.  Previously, when someone gave me
some advice I would spend a great many hours troubleshooting further
when their suggestions didn't pan out.  To be honest, my failure to get
RT running has been very humbling so if I follow someone's instructions
and they don't solve the problem (or make things worse) I just respond
with the results and hope for more guidance.

I cannot fix this problem on my own.  I feel extremely stupid because of
this.  I'm an idiot.  I cannot do this without some help.  'Nuff said?

I removed all of the other Web stuff as you instructed.  No difference.

Error log follows.

I don't know how to answer your mod_fastcgi question except to say that
I followed the installation instructions religiously, that I have no
clue what fastcgi is and that below I have included two examples...  the
first, which is based on your suggestions, which does not work.  The
second, following the installation procedure instructions, which does
work but as I said, using the root URL.  As you can see, the
configurations are nearly identical.  Imagine my frustration, if you
can, that I have spent around ten days [unsuccessfully] troubleshooting
a problem that I isolated to two or three lines of code a week ago.  I
have nearly 45 years of computer systems engineering experience and at
one time I actually was smart.

Mail from SKYNETWEBBLACKHOLES is blacklisted on our mail server due to
them hosting spammer sites I presume.  I added both of your e-mail
addresses to my whitelist.  It's probably best to keep this thread
intact on the forum though.  The first thing I did, before asking anyone
for help, was to search the database for similar threads and found
nothing helpful.  Hopefully, if/when this gets solved, I will put a
clean configuration update for those who follow to use as a model.

RT is most likely [temporarily] accessible from the Internet.  If so,
you can see that http://backup.easyrider.com brings up RT nicely.  All
attempts to run RT from http://backup.easyrider.com/helpdesk have so far
failed.

[root at security webalizer-2.21-02]# tail /var/log/httpd/error_log
[Sun Oct 11 19:21:32 2009] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" (pid 18020) terminated by calling exit
with status '9'
[Sun Oct 11 19:21:32 2009] [notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora) configured --
resuming normal operations
[Sun Oct 11 19:21:33 2009] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" started (pid 18029)
Couldn't load RT config file RT_SiteConfig.pm:

Quantifier follows nothing in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/+ <-- HERE
REST/ at /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm line 393.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Config.pm line 516.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl line 102.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi line 55.
[Sun Oct 11 19:21:33 2009] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" (pid 18029) terminated by calling exit
with status '9'
[root at security webalizer-2.21-02]#

/opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm:

# ---- Latest advice START ---------
# Gives internal server error message

Set($WebPath , "/helpdesk");
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com");
Set($WebImagesURL , $WebPath . "/NoAuth/images/");

#Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));
#Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");
#Set($LogoURL , $WebImagesURL . "bplogo.gif");
#Set($LogoLinkURL, 'http://security.nocdesigns.com');
#Set($LogoAltText, "Easyrider LAN Pro");
#Set($WebNoAuthRegex, qr!^(?:/+NoAuth/|
                            /+REST/\d+\.\d+/NoAuth/)!x );

# ---- Latest advice END -----------

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

# ----- START ---------

NameVirtualHost *:80
      <VirtualHost *:80>
       ServerName backup.easyrider.com
       AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
       AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
       Alias /helpdesk/NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
       ScriptAlias /helpdesk /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
     </VirtualHost>

# ---- END -----------

This works but as http://backup.easyrider.com

# ----- START -----------------------
Set($WebPath , "");
Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com:$WebPort");

#------ END -----------------------

NameVirtualHost *:80
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName backup.easyrider.com
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
    Alias /NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
    ScriptAlias / /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
</VirtualHost>